The employment for fresh graduates in Malaysia is likely to increase as employers scale up hiring next year and 2022.
According to the New Straits Times, Talentbank recently revealed that a total of 73.41% of respondents plan to hire fresh graduates from private and public universities in Malaysia in 2021.
The recruitment, market research, education and employer branding company, with 196 organisations in Malaysia conducted the survey back in October, which also showed that 21.97% of respondents were unsure about hiring fresh graduates while 4.62% of employers are unlikely to hire.
Talentbank Chief Executive Officer Ben Ho stated that the survey’s outcome comes as good news in the current volatility and uncertainty amid the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, which resulted in many companies cutting operating costs by reducing their workforces.
“It also means that private and public universities in Malaysia are producing graduates with the right set of skill sets needed by the industry,” he said.
On the survey, Ho said respondents were mainly in senior positions attached to mid-sized and large organisations.
“They formed 80.35% of all respondents. Public listed companies in Malaysia made up 33.53% of his segment.”
The survey results showed that there are promising job prospects for fresh graduates with a background in Accounting, Business Management, Marketing, Computing and Information Technology, Human Resource Management, Mechanical Engineering, Electronics and Electrical Engineering, Mass Communications, Banking and Economics.
The monthly salaries offered to fresh graduates from all these fields range between RM2,501 and RM3,000, while internship allowances average RM1,000 a month.
“We asked employers if they placed a greater emphasis on attitude or academic results when hiring fresh graduates and the responses came as no surprise. A majority of 91.91% of the respondents chose an excellent attitude over academic results, while the remaining 8.09% stressed academic marks over the right attitude.
“These results point to a growing demand for people who are versatile, able to pick up new skills and take on new responsibilities thrown at them,” said Ho